Script to add passwords

Jefferson Ogata ogata at pobox-u-spam-u-die.com
Sun Dec 19 17:28:37 EST 1999

Cameron Laird wrote:
> Expect is wonderful, Python's wonderful, CGI keeps
> rolling on.  I use 'em all, of course.
>
> I'm tempted to give different advice to this ques-
> tioner, though.  He explains his motivation as a
> need to automate an IMAP server (automation is also
> wonderful, while I'm in a judgmental mode).  What
> I'm doing nowadays for most clients with e-mail needs
> is setting up Unix servers where IMAP and brothers
> (SMTP, POP) work from some authentication method
> *other* than account validation.  I like having
> 10,000 e-mail accounts, but only eleven valid logins.
> I don't hang out with other SysAds enough to judge
> how widespread/accepted/successful/... this is.
> It works for me, though, and I'm curious how others
> see it.

man chroot

chroot your mail delivery and access stuff. Then you can set up a separate
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow that only grants mail access, because interactive
programs aren't available. You still use normal authentication methods.

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo
smtp: <ogata at pobox-u-spam-u-die.com>   http://www.pobox.com/~ogata/  ICQ: 19569681
whois: jo317 at whois.networksolutions.com   finger: ogata at pobox-u-spam-u-die.com