Python complaints

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Sun Dec 12 00:00:30 EST 1999

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:52:05 +1100, skaller <skaller at maxtal.com.au> wrote:

[mutable integers in Viper]

> I'm really glad of your effort producing Viperi. Perhaps , I'd even
> become a Viperi user some day. Specially it's worth the effort of
> providing a better Garbage collector,...

	Actually, providing the collector required no effort at all
for me, since it is already part of the implementation language's
run time system.

> But I don't like this kind of C-like short expresions, and furthermore
> it seems that you give the Integer a new Object life, but then
> you start treatign them like Integers again or worse , like pointers.
>
> x.inc() would be more acceptable.

The actual implementation follows Tim Peter's suggestion that
references NOT be used. Also, they're not expressions:

	x = y++ # NOT ALLOWED

The operators are all shorthands for assignments, and can only
be used as statements:

	y++ # OK, same as y = y + 1

[BTW: the first release of Viper has been posted to incoming
on ftp.python.org, it hasn't made the download section yet]

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
voice: 61-2-9660-0850