newbie : books on python

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Tue Dec 14 12:36:50 EST 1999

Alex Martelli wrote:
>Mahboob Hussain writes:
>
>> I program in C/C++/Java/Perl and want to learn Python. Could you suggest
>> a few good books / sites to get me started ?
>
>My personal recommendation about books (speaking as a newbie
>busy catching up on his reading:-) is to go for the dated but
>excellent "Internet programming with Python"
[...]
>I also liked O'Reilly's new "Learning Python".  "Programming
>with Python", OTOH, I'd give a miss, if I were you -- I found
>it chaotic to the point that it turned me off Python for a
>while

NB: _Programming_Python_ (O'Reilly) and _Programming_with_Python_
    (Prima) are two different books. I've got the latter and
    don't recommend it.  Just to confuse the issue further,
    there's a third book in German: _Mit_Python_programmieren_
    (English: Programming with Python).

Two other books I've seen recommended for experienced programmers are
_The_Quick_Python_Book_ and _Python_Essential_Reference_.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  DIDI... is that a
                                  at               MARTIAN name, or, are we