FINANCIAL MODELLING PACKAGE IN PYTHON?

Andy Robinson andy at robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 15:25:04 EST 1999

"Ajith Prasad" <aprasad at magix.com.sg> wrote:

>Andy Robinson's website at http://www.robanal.demon.co.uk mentions his work
>on DoubleTalk which uses Python to handle accounting transactions. I saw
>also references to work by Kevin McDermott on use of Python in finance.
>
>I wonder whether anyone is working on a full-fledged financial modelling
>package in Python? I have in mind a package similar to IFPS (Interactive
>Financial Planning System) described in "Visual IFPS/Plus for Business"
>by Paul Gray (details at http://www.amazon.com), but extensible in Python
>with OLAP-type functionality. I am sure that there would be a good market
>for such a product among finance professionals who need much more than a
>spreadsheet but who find current commercially available OLAP packages
>inadequate as they have very convoluted and limited rules languages for
>expressing business logic, especially, financial or corporate models.

Anyone who wants to discuss this, come join the python-finance list at
www.egroups.com/group/python-finance/.  It's been a bit quiet of late
but that's where my stuff and Kevin's is being discussed..

I'm very keen to move Doubletalk forward - it's kind of my life's work
- but have had to step back from Python development for a few months.
The long term goals are exactly those you outline above and it should
all start moving again in a month or so.

- Andy Robinson