Embedding questions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Dec 10 06:08:06 EST 1999

Olaf Appelt <tholap at compuserve.com> wrote:
> > ...snipped out request for averloading assignment
> >
> > > but that would look rather ugly:
> >
> > > c.assign (a + b)
> >
> > Or you could go on and really abuse the language
>
> Shall I take that as a recommendation that I shouldn't use Python for what I
> need?

nope.  you should think a bit more about your
original problem.

if I understand things correctly, you want to
set a variable to something, execute some user
code, and then inspect that variable.  right?

okay, here's how to do that:

    c = "my value"

    namespace = {}
    namespace["c"] = c

    exec usercode in namespace

    c = namespace["c"]

    print c

in other words, let the user change "c" to whatever
he/she wants, and pick up the result afterwards.  if
it's not the right type, convert it (if that's a reason-
able thing to do).  otherwise, complain to the user.

</F>