Which grid widget?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 29 15:10:20 EST 1999

Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at madcap.dyn.ml.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. One thing puzzles me:
> 1. You say "PyQt also works with the Windows version of Qt".
> 2. The above website says Qt 2 is not done yet.
> 3. Qt's home site says Qt 1 is X11 only.

Well, point 3. is not entirely correct - Qt has always been available for
Windows - and I think that if you were to ask Troll Tech you could still
buy the older 1.44 version. Although, if you were to go the PyQt route,
you might want to approach Phil on the subject of his 2,x bindings.

>> I've taken a look myself, but wxWindows doesn't offer a fully editable,
>> spreadsheet-like grid either,

> I have just installed the latest wxPython Windoze installer. It comes
> with a grid widget. Haven't exercised it much, yet. Also, PyGTK has a
> grid widget, as well, and wxPython on Unix builds with PyGTK.

You won't get anything extra from GTK when accessing it via WxWindows -
after all, that's what a cross-platform toolkit is about, conformity,
uniformity: the smallest common denominator.

Curiously enough, when this post arrived on my ISP's servers, I
was working on extending the standard Qt grid with editable cells
and comboboxes - in Python. It's early hours still: I'm taking the C++
EditableTableListBox from KMySQL as a guide, although I intend to keep it
to the straight and narrow of just the Qt widgets. It should be fairly
easy, I estimate.  I'm planning editable cells, in-place comboboxes
(with datakeys) and perhaps outlining.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org