Exposing COM via XML-RPC or Something Else

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Sat Dec 4 16:18:45 EST 1999

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

[snip a huge pile of links]

> >CORBA is NOT a component standard -- it's an interoperability
> >standard.
> Well AFAI understand it COM also is an interoperability standard,
> but I might just miss the point here.

"COM" is many (too many) things. At it's core, though, COM
is a C++ vtable exposed to C. In that sense it is a binary
standard, and very simple.

COM development followed two conflicting tracks. The C/C++
folks followed one track, and the VB folks took another. The
VB stuff is complex (because the VB folks took all kinds of
shortcuts based on VB internals). It's also what caught on
(IDispatch, Automation, the stuff the Python's COM
extensions do so well). The equivalent CORBA stuff (dynamic
discovery) is probably better architected, but nowhere near as
widely used. The part of CORBA that is widely used is
actually much more straightforward in COM.

> >>The big part of the microsoft COM platform is the MTS
> >>(microsoft transaction server) if you want to do to distributed
> >>objects.
> >
> >Um -- that's true for COM+, but COM doesn't need it to operate.
> Well if you don't want distributed computing...

MTS provides transaction services. That's not part of core
CORBA either. Distributed computing is DCOM, which is
COM plus some marshalling.

> I do not habe much experience about it, I admit, but technically
> they also seem to have the same complexity. I just do not believe
> that COM is easier to code. Well this is, what the articles
> support, too.

It all depends on what you're doing and what tools you use.

CORBA was a full blown spec in 89, but didn't have any
implementations until 95 or so. COM was working in 90, but if
it ever had a full blown spec, I must've missed it.

- Gordon