[OT] OpenSource Python Books?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Dec 30 16:24:50 EST 1999

Ivan Van Laningham writes:
 > I was under the impression that the words "The toExcel Bookstore offers
 > printed copies of the Python Library Reference, Language Reference and
 > Tutorial. Royalties go to the PSA" on http://www.python.org/doc/ (the
 > documentation main page) meant that we already had, or could obtain, the
 > Python documentation in printed form.  Perhaps LinuxPorts.com might be
 > adding value, but that's not clear from the note above.  And, except for

  That's correct.  Their product is a little out of date (by one
documentation release), but that's not bad by print standards.  I'm
hoping to have some time (eventually) to determine just what's needed
to be able to send an update that can be used easily by people
interested in "publishing on demand" people (like toExcel/iUniverse).
If we can get them to always print the latest release, *that* would be
good.  It's more a matter of determining what is needed and not just
doing a bunch of work for a single publishers benefit.  But I think it
would be valuable to all Python users if you could always buy a copy
of the latest release of the documentation in a nicely printed form.

 > there, too), higher math with Python, Astronomy with Python, Python &
 > Com, and on and on and on. ...

  I understand that calendrical calculations are big as well; is
anyone planning to write a Python book on that topic?

 > As Cameron already pointed out, this is not a good plan.  We already
 > have as much of this as we want with Redhat's distros, etc.

  I concur.  There are too many books with useless CD-ROMs already.
The publishing process is slow enough that it's really hard to make
this as useful as it used to be (slow downloads, lack of connectivity,
etc., were *good* reasons to include the CD-ROM; the little CD-ROM
icon on the cover is not).

 > <i'm-going-to-design-a-programming-language-for-cumudgeons-in-which-"foo"-and-"bar"-will-be-replaced-with-"hah!"-and-"balderdash!">-ly
 > y'rs,
 > Ivan (and I'll have a lot of customers, too);-)

  Add "humbug!" and you'll have another!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>