Looking for Zope/Python suggestions

Patrick Phalen python at teleo.net
Fri Dec 24 18:24:55 EST 1999

[Nick Henderson, on Fri, 24 Dec 1999]
:: Hello,
::
:: I am new to python and zope.  I want to make a dynamic data-base oriented
:: website.  I am wondering where I should start.  Should I learn python first?
:: I've already ordered "Learning Python."  Then go on to zope?

You don't need to know any Python to get started with Zope, but it will
help you as you seek to do more sophisticated things. Zope features a
reporting language, DTML, which is easy to learn and quite powerful.

:: Also, I have been looking into Zope lately and have had some problems (the
:: main one is that I do not know python :).  What is the best way to deal with
:: data in Zope.  Is it better to use persistent data in the ZODB or connect to
:: a relational database?  And what is easier to learn?

ZODB is easy to use, but whether you need to also work with a RDBMS will
be determined by the nature of your data. ZODB is consistent with the
heterogeneous data found in typical Web content. If your data will be
highly structured, then you may want to also use a RDBMS.

:: I must sound really silly asking these questions, but I'd really appreciate
:: any help.

Not silly at all. I'd recommend you subscribe to the Zope mailing list
via www.zope.org. People there are more familiar with Zope specifics.