I envy newbies

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Jul 17 00:34:34 EDT 1999

[Gordon McMillan]
> I think the Tcl install does modify your path.

It may under NT (can't remember), but definitely does not under W95.

> But Python will go looking for it in the default places. Which is,
> of course, C:\Program Files\...

Which should really be taken from the registry, at key

    SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

I think Guido has been thoroughly Americanized <wink>.

> [I think it's hilarious that MS was so enamored of their "advance" in
> being able to put spaces in paths that they made the "proper" place
> to install everything a demo of this "feature"...
> Which demos the fact that spaces in path names are a pain in the
> ass].

yup!-and-they're-regretting-it-all-the-way-to-the-bank-ly y'rs  - tim