Debugging embedded pgm under WinNT

Gordon McMillan Gordon.McMillan at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Fri Jul 2 06:22:44 EDT 1999

From: "Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com>

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> I have Python 1.5.2 embedded in an application on WinNT (4.0, SP4)
> using Visual C++ 6.0 SP2.  When I compile the project in Debug mode,
> even though it links correctly to the python15_d.lib file, it won't
> run because it complains about "can't find python15_d.dll".  So I
> got the source, compiled the python15_d.dll, put it in
> WINNT/system32 right next to python15.dll, ran my program . . . and
> now it couldn't find "multiarray" (my embedded Python code uses the
> Numeric extensions).  I verified that sys.path was correct and
> included the Numeric directories. Do I have to build the Numeric
> extensions under Debug mode?

Yup. A pain in the butt, ain't it?

Everything has to be running the same c runtime lib. However, you can
compile python15.dll and your stuff in debug mode but using the
release c runtime (Multithreaded DLL). This at least lets you debug
your stuff and step into python15.dll. Other stuff will load, but
won't have any symbols.  As I recall I had to tweak quite a few
things in the build to get that to work, too.

- Gordon