How to trace Python/sys.settrace() ?

Andreas Jung ajung at sz-sb.de
Wed Jul 14 10:01:45 EDT 1999

In some situations it is neccessary to be able to do a complete
trace of Python script (similiar to truss/strace) - that means one
want to know all called functions (function names) and functions parameters.

sys.settrace() seems to be a candidate for building such a tracing functionality.
However I am not sure if this is the right way. I'd like to ask the Python gurus
and Python hackers here  about a possible solution. Maybe there is already some usable
code available.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

--