I envy newbies

Bob Alexander bobalex at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 17 11:52:04 EDT 1999

Even the Windows 98 installer modifies the PATH. But I suppose one could
argue that it's the operating system, and the operating system owns the
PATH, so it can do whatever it darn well pleases!

However, although well-intentioned, it botched up my AUTOEXEC.BAT. I had to
figure out what it really *meant* to do and fix it by hand.

The problem with automatic modification of AUTOEXEC is that it's a script,
and if you've done anything more than having a simple, single PATH
statement, the odds of successful modification diminish.

It's the custom for Windows installers to be intrusive: new unwanted icons
on the desktop, new little icons in that little area by the Start button,
and on and on...

-- Bob