createfilehandler, how to use it with Tk?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jul 26 11:23:32 EDT 1999

algaba at my-deja.com wrote:
> I have to communicate a tk front end with another modules.
> And I'm trying:
> I've been browsing  fnorb example of use of createfilehandler
> but it's as complex as hell.
> has anyone a simple,straightforward example of it?

forget about createfilehandler. use asyncore/asynchat instead:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-asyncore.html

to use them under Tk, you can use a
simple polling scheme:

import asyncore

class myApp:
    def __init__(self, master):
        self.master = master

        self.poll()

        # issue a HTTP request (see handbook example)
        http_client("www.python.org", "/")

    def poll(self):
        # keep the server up and running
        try: