SMTP problem

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Mon Jul 19 18:11:34 EDT 1999

Hi All--

"Joacim Löwgren" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I copied this straight from the Python SMTP example, however it doesn't seem
> it's working. I'm not quite sure what ^D does and if it is different on
> Unix/Windows as I think this is the problem with the script.

1)  It appears that you're on Windows, so you would use ^Z (control-z)
instead of ^D.  In either case, the function of the control character is
to indicate the end-of-file, which tells the SMTP script you're done
typing your message and that it should be sent.

2)  Since you're on Windows, and windows doesn't have any native SMTP
processing abilities, you'll need to replace 'localhost' in the example
program with the name of your mail server.  If netlimit.com is your
host, then it is possible that you'll have a mail server at
'mail.netlimit.com' -- but I would check with your IS people to make
sure, as you need a mail account on the server in order to be able to
send and receive mail.

3)  If I'm mistaken and you really are on UNIX, then you need to make
sure that the system you're running this script on has an SMTP
server/sendmail daemon running.  If not, the script won't work, since
it's hard-coded to your localhost.

<windows-don't-need-no-stinkin-sendmail>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70