HPUX and threads?

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Jul 29 03:30:39 EDT 1999

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:
> [Markus Stenberg]
> > Is HPUX-11 thread support tested/implemented/whatnot?
>
> You may want to ask on the Thread-SIG if you don't get an answer here.
>
> > This at least does not look promising..
> >
> > # /opt/python/bin/python
> > pthread_mutex_init: Invalid argument
> > Memory fault(coredump)
> >
> > (also tests failed with the same message, obviously)
> Are you running pthreads?  Python is sure trying to <wink>.

I am totally clueless as to C-based threads in general and pthreads in
particular. There are manual pages for pthread* things, and the library,
thus, I suppose I am.

> The msg is coming from line 263 of Python/thread_pthread.h.  It means the
> platform's
>
> 		status = pthread_mutex_init(&lock->mut,
> 					    pthread_mutexattr_default);

Manual page says this.. wonder what lock->mut is, hopefully this type ;)

      int pthread_mutex_init(
         pthread_mutex_t *mutex,
         const pthread_mutexattr_t *attr
      );

> returned a non-zero (failure) status.  "Invalid argument" is what the
> platform perror() produced.  A coredump after an error here isn't
> surprising.
>
> This is likely the first call made to any pthreads function, and is so
> vanilla that I'd guess pthreads itself doesn't work on your platform (does
> it from C?), or it's some non-std pthreads variant that thread_pthread.h
> doesn't know about.

Seems like non-std pthreads variant that thread_pthread.h doesn't know
about (see my other post).

> not-that-insight-implies-a-cure-ly y'rs  - tim

-Markus

--
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.