Python Performance

Andy Robinson andy at robanal.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 15:42:44 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:

>aaron_watters at my-deja.com writes:
>> In article <al81zdxkktf.fsf at sirppi.helsinki.fi>,
>>   Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:
>> > Even in websites' case, I would worry; Python doesn't use multiCPU
>> very
>
>Single select/update's on Solid or MySQL with Python interface do easily
>1000/second on trivial tables. (on most boxen)
>
>-Markus Stenberg
True, but part of the point of Gadfly is that you can so easily put it
in places you can't put the others - like inside your client app
instead of on a remote server.

Comparing like-for-like, Python is inevitably slower.  But Python
often makes it very easy to cache data locally, and try out totally
different architectures for a given business problem which can more
than redress the balance. in some cases.

Regards,

Andy