how do I find memory leaks?

David Konerding dek at nano.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 21 16:50:03 EDT 1999

On 21 Jul 1999 11:31:27 -0500, Heather A. Drury <heather at thalamus.wustl.edu> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm relatively new to python and am using it (and Tkinter,
>VTK, NumPy, numpyio, and some other modules that I've probably
>forgotten) to write a volume/slice visualization package.
>
>Here's what I see on a SGI Indigo2 Max Impact with 448 Meg of memory:
>
>	before I start application	350 meg free
>	start application		342
>	read volume 1			284
>	re-read volume 1		229
>	re-read volume 1		192
>	re-read volume 1		173
>	re-read volume 1		155

Are you storing data as textures, or display lists?
If VTK is an interface to OpenGL, then you need to clean up
some resources.  In my program, if I create a large number
of display lists with lots of geometry or texture data, they
take up a lot of RAM.

I haven't used VTK with python, only PyOpenGL.

Dave
Email: dek at cgl.ucsf.edu    David Konerding     WWW: http://picasso.ucsf.edu/~dek
Snail: Graduate Group in Biophysics
Medical Sciences 926, Box 0446