htmllib, cgi, HTMLfmt, genCGI, HTMLgen, html, Zope, ...

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Thu Jul 8 16:38:57 EDT 1999

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 09:22:05PM +0200, Thomas Ackermann wrote:
> From: Thomas Ackermann <tgm at math.uni-bonn.de>
> Subject: htmllib, cgi, HTMLfmt, genCGI, HTMLgen, html, Zope, ...
> Date: 	Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:22:05 +0200
> To: python-list at python.org
>
> Hi!
>
> I have not much time to experiment with those modules and would like
> to hear opinions about to use what module     ;-)

Well,
I used HTMLgen and I don't really understand why to use it. If you don't
know HTML, you can't use it: you need to understand tags like <B>, <I>, <U>
and such. I strongly recommend to have a look at HTML: if you look at it only
one hour, you'll already understand the basics. Another hour and you understand
frames and tables, and another hour to understand how it interacts with CGI.
So you'll only need 3 hours, if not less, to learn web programming. When you're
able to do that, you'll understand much more about HTMLgen (but won't need it,
I think...)

> Also, i am not exactly sure what Zope is - it seems to be something to
> create WWW-Pages and allow access to databases and it has it's own
> WebServer (a variant of Medusa) ...

Me neither.

> So, what to use to allow for an Internet-Shop with pages created from
> databases and allowing customers to purchase over net?

If you're doing such serious things, you should

                                     **really**

learn web programming!!

> Can do Zope such things? Is it overkill at first? What can it do
> beyond? (And yes, i read some documentation, but i do not even
> understand what an "Application Server" is    ;-)

Zope seems to be quite powerful.

>                GNU LINUX Python gtk pygtk MySQL FUDGE GURPS

GNU LINUX Python Civ III discoverb X much more.

regards,
Gerrit.

--
The Dutch Linuxgames homepage:	http://linuxgames.nl.linux.org
Personal homepage:		http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/

Discoverb is a python program (in several languages) which tests the words you
learned by asking it. Homepage: http://www.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/discoverb/
Oh my god! They killed init! You bastards!