Is bsddb.pyd thread safe in 1.5.2 (win95)

Ian Clarke clarkeia at logica.com
Fri Jul 30 05:02:03 EDT 1999

Bruce Dodson wrote in message ...
>I see a bsddb.pyd included with Python 1.5.1, and I assume with 1.5.2.  I
>think this means Python shouldn't fall back to dumbdbm on a normal
>installation.  If I am wrong about that, e.g. if bsddbm.pyd is based on the
>1.x series dbm that didn't support concurrent use, I think you can get a
>safe version of dbm from www.SleepyCat.com, or maybe the gdbm from
>www.roth.net/libs.  It should be quite simple to plug in one of those to
the
>bsddbm or gdbm Python module source.

Is there any way to find out which version of dbm the 1.5.2 bsddb.pyd file
is based on?  I would rather stick to using standard Python libraries if
possible for deployment purposes, but finding out whether a program is
thread-safe is a bit of a black art unless you are told in documentation
(experimentation, for example, is not really a satisfactory method!).

Also, what is a .pyd file - and should I be able to find bsddbm.pyd in my
installation (because I can't).

Cheers,

Ian.