I envy newbies

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Jul 17 14:55:05 EDT 1999

In article <000101bed082$747b0de0$27a22299 at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

>I think the best advice you can give a newbie regardless is to force the
>install to put Python in a directory *they* choose, and one without spaces
>in its name.  Like C:\Python.  This is easier than telling them how to find
>python.exe in the (ill-defined) "default" location, and will simplify later
>tasks whether or not they muck with autoexec.bat.

The one thing I *hate* about this advice is that it's a Bad Idea to put
too many files/directories into the root.  (I *think* FAT-32 gets rid of
the 64-entry limitation, but I'm not sure, and anyone on Win95 or NT has
a decent chance of being on FAT-16.  But even without the limitation, I
still think it's a Bad Idea.)
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)