htmllib, cgi, HTMLfmt, genCGI, HTMLgen, html, Zope, ...

Sim & Golda Zacks simngolda at voyager.net
Wed Jul 14 00:00:25 EDT 1999

I am in the exact same situation as you are. I am a web programmer and I'm
trying to implement the CGI and database stuff with Python. I am using the
HTMLFMT module from the INTERNET PROGRAMMING book and the cgi module from the
standard library. What the HTMLFMT library does for you is just that you don't
have to type in all the tags, basically it's nothing magical, if I didn't have
it I would have to make something up and it probably wouldn't be half as good.
the standard cgi unit gives you all the fields from the form, and I haven't
looked at the cgi modules from the book yet to see if they give me any added
benefit. The big problem I came across was my web host, and all of the other
ones I talked to, refused to  install the mysql interface to Python, and it has
to be included in the build (or something like that) So I just installed gadfly,
which seems to be working great for me right now. I'm still playing with it not
in production yet.
I have no idea what ZOPE does, but everyone who talks about it seems to love it.

Hope this helps

Sim Zacks