Extreme Newbie Question

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Jul 23 08:37:11 EDT 1999

Robert Zurer <bob at bluestarscrap.com> wrote:
> It's probably ridiculously obvious but it's my first hour working with
> Python...
>
> In interactive mode how do you save the script that you've entered line
> by line to a file?

well, how do you usually save batchfiles/shell scripts
you've entered line by line to a file? :-)

the Python FAQ basically says "Use an external editor";
see entries:

http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#1.19 (unix)
http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#7.10 (windows, mac)

depending on your platform.

however, it fails to mention that Python 1.5.2 comes with
the IDLE environment, which includes a python-aware editor,
a nifty interactive "shell" window, and lots of other goodies:

http://www.python.org/doc/howto/idle/

well worth trying.

btw, most platforms come with some kind of trivial text
editor (e.g. Notepad on Windows), and supports cut and
paste from console windows, so you can always save stuff
you've written into Python's basic command-line interface
window...

</F>