Slicing beyond list -- bug or featurette?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Fri Jul 2 18:22:10 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Pierre Fortin wrote:

> Just ran into a situation which can be summarized as follows:

[bobbitt]

> list[2:50] returns [ 2,3,4 ]
> list[20:] or list[20:30] returns []
>
> Can I count on this, or should I code try/except for the day it's
> fixed?  This 'feature' reduces the error situations; but is it
> correct/intended?

I don't presume to speak for Guido, but the way slicing is implemented
it seems likely that you can count on it: list[:] is implemented as if
it were list[0:MAXINT].  I doubt that Guido will change it, but then,
the Guido is the Guido.

<but-they-don't-call-him-guido-svetz-for-nothing>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70