memory leaking?!

Reuben Sumner rasumner at math5-pc.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il
Wed Jul 14 09:54:28 EDT 1999

I have some code creating a somewhat complicated data structure.
When I am using Python 1.5.2 compiled with Py_REF_DEBUG I can see
that reference counts are dissapearing (although I can't figure out
what is getting lost, all the objects that I can think of I have
confirmed are being released).  When I compile with Py_TRACE_REFS
then all of a sudden the reference counts don't increase between
subsequent calls.  What on earth is going on here?  Running "top"
and generating a lot of very large structures then memory does seem
to leak no matter which way I compile python (although I think it is
slower with Py_TRACE_REFS).

Reuben

P.S. I did apply a small debugging patch (that I posted here) that just
makes the debugging output optional depending on a new command line switch.