Gadfly accessing results

aaron_watters at my-deja.com aaron_watters at my-deja.com
Wed Jul 14 09:03:13 EDT 1999

In article <7mh2ed$hrb at newsops.execpc.com>,
  Sim & Golda Zacks <simngolda at voyager.net> wrote:
> When I do a Select query in Gadfly how would I then be able to use
> individual fields from the results? In Delphi (my primary programming
> language) I would use a query and then call
> query.fieldbyname('fielname').value and I have access to all the
fields
> that were selected. How would I do this in Gadfly? For example my
select
> is for 5 fields and it returns 2 records. I want to be able to get
each
> field individually from each record

For gadfly, like other dbapi conformant python-database interfaces
you execute a query via a cursor

    curs = connection.cursor()
    curs.execute("select col1, col2, col3 from table")

Get the results of the select as a list of tuples via

    resultlist = cursor.fetchall() # and similar

Get the 1st result row via

    first = resultlist[0]

the third via

    third = resultlist[2]

to get the 2nd column data value of the third row:

    col_3_2 = third[1]

to loop through all the data values by row and then by column:

    for row in resultlist:
        for col in row:
            print col,
        print

Please see the gadfly documentation (with the package)
and the dbapi specification available in the db-sig area
of http://www.python.org.

   -- Aaron Watters http://www.chordate.com

===

Do you expect me to talk?