pow()

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Wed Jul 21 15:15:13 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Gary Herron wrote (and Christian Tismer did too):

Thanks to both of you.

> This is from the library manual named "2.3 Built-in Functions":
>
> pow (x, y[, z])
>
> Return x to the power y; if z is present, return x to the power y,
> modulo z (computed more efficiently than pow(x, y) % z). The arguments
> must have numeric types. With mixed operand types, the rules for binary
> arithmetic operators apply.  The effective operand type is also the type
> of the result; if the result is not expressible in this type, the
> function raises an exception; e.g., pow(2, -1) or pow(2, 35000) is not
> allowed.

So why didn't this turn up when I searched www.python.org for references
to "pow" ???

The explanation is perfectly clear, but I didn't see the reference to
the Built-in Functions page; when I searched, nothing came up (that was
pertinent, anyway).

<there-might-be-doc-bugs-on-summa-you-mugs>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70