Cyclops 0.9.4

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jul 22 11:08:59 EDT 1999

In article <001301bed410$e59eafe0$642d2399 at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

>If you have no idea which objects to look for, you're not going to get help
>short of divine revelation.  An object living after you expect it to die is
>an error in program logic, and as hard to track down as any other kind of
>programmer flub; heck, harder than most, because usually an error of
>omission (you neglected to lose all the references) -- there's no line of
>code "to blame".

Going off on a tangent, I want to whine a bit about a "bug" in my code
that I came across recently:  I'm downloading web pages, cross-checking
HREFs against URLs already in the database.  One URL on one particular
web page keeps causing my code to crash.  Netscape's View | Source
didn't show anything wrong.  Finally, I used urllib.urlopen() to get a
raw look at the page -- and it turned out that the URL had a null byte
at the end!  (Yes, '<a href="http://foo/bar/\000">')

A null byte in the middle of a web page.  Who'd'a thunk?  <grrrrrr!>
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)