I envy newbies

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Fri Jul 16 12:26:32 EDT 1999

In article <1279991447-21085630 at hypernet.com>,
Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>Files\... [I think it's hilarious that MS was so enamored of their
>"advance" in being able to put spaces in paths that they made the
>"proper" place to install everything a demo of this "feature"...
>Which demos the fact that spaces in path names are a pain in the
>ass]. And if tcl80.dll and tk80.dll are on your path (which they
Unarguable.  It's beyond my capacity to retain
my usual neutral mien whenever this comes to mind.
			.
			.
			.
>> "Yearning for NT when you're running Linux is like lusting for a Big
>> Wheel when you're driving a BMW." --Harrison Picot.
>
>More apt would be an cut-rate underpowered "luxury" car (you
>know, where you have to turn off the A/C to go up a hill) and a John
>Deere. Now Win9x, that's a tinker toy.
Gordon, we're going to have to continue to keep
you in the back room.  Retail consumers persist
in testifying they *want* those "underpowered
'luxury' cars".

Suggestive episode from the history of agricul-
tural mechanization:  one of the still
under-celebrated inventions was the three-point
hitch, which DRAMATICALLY simplified the quotidian
realities of hooking diverse implements to ones
chosen platform.  (Oh; and power-take-off coup-
lings, too.)  I leave implications to language
theory to the usual advocates of gluing
technology.

Most at-home on an iron-seated Farmall myself,
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX