"libmysqlclient.so.6" not found. (what does /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib/mysql do ?)

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 23 05:57:52 EDT 1999

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 09:21:55AM +0000, sweeting at neuronet.com.my wrote:

> However, upon rebooting the machine, if I try to run a Python program
> it will again complain that "libmysqlclient.so.6" can not be found
> (since the MySQLmodule is shared). Once again
> running " /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib/mysql"  cures the problem but
> does this mean that I have to run it each and every time I restart the
> computer, as part of my startup scripts ? Is this error indicative of
> there being a larger problem or misconfiguration ?

Add /usr/local/lib/mysql to your /etc/ld.so.conf. It contains a list
(seperated by newlines, if i'm correct) of directories to add to the dynamic
linker/loader search path.

Alternatively (and imho preferable over adding to your ld.so.conf each time)
place a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib to point to
/usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqldclient.so.6. That way you dont suffer the
clutter of dos-like PATH addenda :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>