MS-SQL Server:Connectivity Help...

Bill Tutt billtut at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 27 15:20:26 EDT 1999

There are three approaches.

1) Use the Win32 COM support to connect to SQL Server via ADO.
This is perhaps the most functional access to the database you're likely to
get in Python atm.
2) Use the Win32 extension ODBC module.
This only exposes a limited interface to the database, and has several known
annoying bugs. (Date/time type binding being the most annoying...)
3) Use the mxODBC extension.
This still only exposes a limited interface to ODBC, but fixes some of the
annoying bugs #2 currently has.
http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/
mxODBC also has a curious license which you should investigate before using.

Personally, I'd vote for #2 or #3 if you can.
ADO slows things down just a tad due to it having to convert to Unicode and
back again for sane use in Python.

Bill