Python Performance

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Jul 29 07:35:30 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg wrote:

> > Are there any pieces of test code anywhere which could be used as a good
> > test for Pythons speed (encompasing all of its language features) so that if
> > anyone tinkered with the bytecode execution unit they could measure the
> > speed improvement. It would be useful if it also tested correctness to
> > ensure no mistakes?!
>
> There is PyStone (comes along with distribution) and PyBench (which I
> haven't tried). I myself use a performance testing framework and ton of
> small examples to judge whether things speed up or not.

FYI, pybench can be downloaded from:

	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/pybench-0.6.zip

There's currently no web-page for it... too busy, sorry. Usage should
be fairly obvious though and it's extendable too.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   155 days left