API question -- decref after adding to dictionary?

Rich Salz salzr at certco.com
Wed Jul 28 11:23:43 EDT 1999

>Yes it is needed. (Trust the code in dictobject.c, after all, that's
>what gets executed !)

Thanks.  I wasn't sure I was reading the code correctly.

The API documentation doesn't seem to say what the functions do to
object references.  Am I missing it, or do I really have to read the
implementation to figure it out?  If the latter, my interest in Python just
dropped a few points.  I mean, refcounts are about the most important
part of writing extensions... (And yes, I understand that this constrains
future implementations.  So be it.)
    /r$