Python GUIs: Summary and Conclusion

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at pobox.com
Fri Jul 2 13:57:00 EDT 1999

Hi William,

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:49:34 GMT, wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
(William Tanksley) wrote:

>I'm working on a 2D tile-based adventure game, which right now is text
>only.  I'm expanding it so that it can use graphics, but I need some
>libraries.  Let me know what you find!

Well, I don't expect to find anything overly suitable for 2D
tile-based adventure games.  I stopped working on that project three
years ago.

However, it's kind of funny you write just now: I was considering to
resume that old project in Python using wxWindows earlier today.

I don't know if wxWindows is what you need, but that's probably where
I would be looking, if I was to resume my old project.

>>[1] Which I expect to change in the future, which is why I'm reviewing
>>portable GUIs (I don't do non-portable stuff, if there's anything I
>>can do to avoid it).
>
>That's right.

You said it :)  That pretty much leaves you with the choice between
TkInter, wxWindows, and FOX (from what I know).  I've looked, more or
less, briefly on all of them and decided to use wxWindows.

For a 2D tile-based game you pretty much just need to be able to draw
tiles (square bitmaps) quickly.  I think wxWindows can do that, but
perhaps you should make some serious tests of those three, and the
others recommended by others.

And let us know what you find :)

-- Mikael