Python GUIs: Portability or not?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Fri Jul 2 05:32:48 EDT 1999

Mikael Lyngvig wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>[...]
> >So, I looked in to PyGtk and PyGnome (with its Gnome Canvas) and I'm
> >impressed.  Right now it fits what I want to do very well and it
> >works on systems with an X server (aren't X servers available for
> >MAC's and Windows?)
>
> I don't know about the Mac, but I'm sure there are X servers available
> for NT.  However, not like they are available for Linux and other Unix
> boxes - you don't just download the X11 source, compile it, and that's
> it (unless a lot has changed the last few years).
>
> You'd probably have to buy a commercial X server for NT or, even
> worse, ask your users to do so.

Have a look at  http://www.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/.
This is a free X sever for both the mac and NT. It works pretty well
for what it is. But if you have a choice, and assuming that you plan
to work with X and non-X applications at the same time, then you
probably want a native GUI for your application.

There are other X servers around, but those who blend into the
host GUI (instead of creating their own X desktop within a window)
all seem to be commercial.

Now *this* would be a task for an open software project... ;)

Have fun!

-schorsch

Georg Mischler  --  simulation developper  --  schorsch at schorsch.com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/