win32 python as a dll?

Scott Wolford wolford at enews.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Jul 7 17:07:44 EDT 1999

I'm having trouble embedding python into an application on win32. I've
done it successfully for the last few months by compiling python into a
dll using my own home-brew makefile. I don't want to keep doing it that
way though; I'd like to use the standard installed python.

Even with version 1.5.2, my program crashes in some mysterious place
after start-up, in NTDLL somewhere. I originally fixed the problem by
compiling python as a dll, then having python.exe use that dll. Why
isn't the standard win32 python distribution compiled as a dll? If it's
not, you also get problems dynamically loading dll's that use python,
because those dlls link with the static python.lib and so does the
application. Thus you have two of those thread context things (it's been
a while since I last tackled this problem).

What do you think about fixing the standard win32 distribution?

Thanks,
Scott