Curses, Ncurses, Slang, etc?

Alexander V. Voinov avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru
Sat Jul 3 16:12:24 EDT 1999

Eric Kidd wrote:

> Neither the ncurses module or the pwin module work out of the box on my
> Linux system. Are there any well-supported Python modules for
> curses/ncurses/slang which do work out of the box?

SLang itself is supported, and even a higher-level set of widgets, written
purely in Python, is underway, but slowly :-(.
You may pick up a binary for Red Hat 6.0 at:

ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/avv/pyslang/work/slang.so

or recompile it out-of-box from
ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/avv/pyslang/pyslang-0.2.0.tgz.

As usual, I remind that Red Hat, as well as other distributions, comes with
the Python wrapper for the 'snack' library, which provides higher-level
widgets than bare pyslang.

The documentation on pyslang is mostly one for the SLang itself, with the
modifications mentioned in my readme's.
Examples may give more information, as usual.

The principal advantage of pyslang I'm aware of is that you may use the same
script under win32 without any changes.

Next bug-fix release of pyslang is very close to completion.

Alexander