Maintainability (was Re: Stackless & String-processing)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Jul 22 00:37:13 EDT 1999

In article <001101bed3f2$5e8874a0$642d2399 at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

>That's fine for a one-man show.  "Maintainability" in my life cuts across
>programmers, and it's Not Good for each person to reinvent their own basic
>machinery -- even to have the ability to do so.  One reason I like Python is
>that it *doesn't* let the jerk down the hall invent their own control
>structures <0.5 wink>.

Yup.  Today I had to lay down the law to our programming team: use of
the construct "from foo import *" is now expressly, explicitly, and
completely forbidden.  "from foo import bar" is deprecated; "from foo
import foo" is acceptable; and "import foo" is strongly preferred.

I'd be in favor of getting "from foo import *" entirely out of the
language, but I suspect it's just too convenient for short hacks.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)