Why is tcl broken?

Paul Duffin pduffin at mailserver.hursley.ibm.com
Thu Jul 1 11:45:02 EDT 1999

Fernando Mato Mira wrote:

> OK. Let's dispel Lisp mith #4 and then
> let's get this out of comp.lang.python
> [economics are different than other groups,
>  BEWARE of Netscape's scrollbar!]

> > Mistake, I think I meant dynamic scoping.
>
> >         (defun inner (b)
> >           (+ a b))
> >
> >         (defun outer (a)
> >           (inner 3))
> >
> >         (outer 2)
>

> > A simple macro version of setq would convert from
> >         (setq symbol '(list))
> >         (set 'symbol '(list))
>
> All 3 the same instance of the first misconception.
> That's OLD, BROKEN Lisp!!

Please enlighten me as to what my misconception is. I am obviously not
a Lisp expert and I realise that there are plenty of different flavours
around but the above code works inside Emacs which says that it is
based on Common Lisp.

--
Paul Duffin
DT/6000 Development	Email: pduffin at hursley.ibm.com
IBM UK Laboratories Ltd., Hursley Park nr. Winchester
Internal: 7-246880	International: +44 1962-816880