API question -- decref after adding to dictionary?

Rich Salz salzr at certco.com
Tue Jul 27 16:37:36 EDT 1999

I'm converting my own associative array into a python dictionary so I can
callout to some python code.  I think the snippet below should be clear
enough.

PyDictObject* newdict = PyDict_New();
for (CKeyValList::iterator i(kvl); i; ++i) {
        PyString* v = Pystring_FromString(i.value());
        PyDict__SetItemString(p, i.key(), v);
        Py_DECREF(v);
}

Is the DECREF necessary?  Reading the source of dictobject.c makes me think
it is, but the comments in object.h say otherwise.

Replies to me will be summarized to the list.  Thanks.
    /r$