Need help with TCP/IP client access from Windows

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Jul 29 18:31:39 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Gordon "Mr. Spaceman" McMillan wrote:

> Eric Raymond writes:

[snippet]

> However, this worked fine for me:
>
> browse='"C:\\Program Files\\Netscape\\Communicator\\Program\\netscape"
> %s'

Won't work for me--I almost never install NS in the assumed default
path.  In fact, the only things I install in the default paths (or even
on the c: drive) are Microsoft goobies, which hate it if you try to
confuse them.  Plus I have some systems that have no NetScape on them,
'cause I have to use IE5 for work.  Bleaugh.

> Note the double quotes around the nowhere-but-Windows <snicker> path
> with spaces in it, and that argv[1] is expected to be a URL (same for
> IE). Also note that the path doesn't go thru the c runtime lib, so
> those wonderful backslashes can't be avoided.

Hey, I got spaces in my directories on Linux!  Had'm for years.  WFFM!

<there's-always-someone-out-to-puncture-your-balloon>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70