win32com.client -- beginner question

Mikael Lyngvig Mikael.Lyngvig at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Thu Jul 1 23:47:15 EDT 1999

From: mikael at toolwood.com (Mikael Lyngvig)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:43:06 +0200, Axel Schmitz-Tewes
<uzs59g at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I ' ll try to use the comclient ability of python. In the Doku I have
>found
>the example:
>
>o = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application")
>o.Visible = 1
>o.Workbooks.Add() # for office 97 – 95 a bit different!
>o.Cells(1,1).Value = "Hello"
>
>Because I have installed Excel95 I have given it a try and that's the
>result:
>
>Python 1.5.2 (#0, Apr 13 1999, 10:51:12) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "E:\Programme\Python\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 400, in
>__getattr_
>_
>    raise AttributeError, "%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr)
>AttributeError: Excel.Application.Workbooks
>
>But Workbooks.Add is a available method as I can test with VBScript.
>Is my installation corrupt or do I do some silly mistake or perhaps some
>more serious?

Did you remember to run the makepy.py script in
Python\win32com\client?  You need to run that one, select the COM
interface you want to use, e. g. "Microsoft Excel 5.0 Object Library
(1.0)" (or similar).  makepy.py then generates the necessary Python
definitions, in a file in the Python\win32com\gen_py directory (named
according to the COM interface's GUID.

After that you should be able to access Excel without too much
trouble.

There's a introduction to the Win32COM stuff, which includes a brief
description of makepy.py, in the QuickStartClientCom.html file
included in the Win32COM installation.

-- Mikael