making a Windows NT service out of a python program

Haimo G. Zobernig Haimo.Zobernig at cern.ch
Tue Jul 13 08:08:48 EDT 1999

Christian Tismer wrote:

> Bill Tutt wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at the stuff in win32\demos\service\ of your friendly latest
> > Win32 extension install tree.
> >
> > It shows you how to wrap Python code into an NT service quite easily.
> >
> > The code in win32\lib\win32serivceutil.py appears to do almost everything
> > you would ever want to do with a service. Very cool stuff...
>
> This is all great stuff if you have understood it already.
> For me, it is still unclear what makes up a service, and
> what I need at the minimum to turn a Python program into
> an NT service.
>
> I need nothing more than to run Medusa as a service. Did
> anybody do this before? Do I need special calls at all?
>
> thanks - chris
>
> --
> Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>
> Applied Biometrics GmbH      :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
> Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
> 10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net
> PGP Fingerprint       E182 71C7 1A9D 66E9 9D15  D3CC D4D7 93E2 1FAE F6DF
>      we're tired of banana software - shipped green, ripens at home

I'm in exactly the same situation - no idea what really distinguishes a
"service"
from any old program, or how programs behave differently when run as a service.
Anyway, thanks for Bill's pointer, I will be trying out the pipeTestService.py
example and see if I can adapt that for my purpose.

Thanks, Haimo

 --
Haimo G. Zobernig                                  tel   +41 22 7677361
Univ. of Wisconsin                                 fax   +41 22 7678370