Need help with TCP/IP client access from Windows

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Jul 30 17:43:01 EDT 1999

In article <7nsf2g$ifp at dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>,
Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <19990730005211.T7149 at thyrsus.com>,
>Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
>>Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com>:
>>>
>>> Probably better just to have a default file, and let the user
>>> override that if need be. Which may well never happen.
>>
>>OK, but where to put it?  I don't know what the conventions are.
>
>I'd stick it in the directory your script is in.  That's pretty standard
>for Windoze.  In fact, I'd make it "<base script name>.ini".
>--
>                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)
>
>Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
>Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)

Well, that's the "well-behaved" version -- the _really_ standard thing is to
put it in %WINDIR%, to preserve the system's fossil record  of every app you
ever ran.

In all seriousness:  DON'T write to the registry;  DO confine your application
to a single, monlithic directory structure; DON'T worry about multi-user unless
you KNOW the client has a rigidly-enforced set of conventions defining what
"home directory" means.

Best,

Tres.