HPUX and threads?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Jul 28 22:27:52 EDT 1999

[Markus Stenberg]
> Is HPUX-11 thread support tested/implemented/whatnot?

You may want to ask on the Thread-SIG if you don't get an answer here.

> This at least does not look promising..
>
> # /opt/python/bin/python
> pthread_mutex_init: Invalid argument
> Memory fault(coredump)
>
> (also tests failed with the same message, obviously)

Are you running pthreads?  Python is sure trying to <wink>.

The msg is coming from line 263 of Python/thread_pthread.h.  It means the
platform's

		status = pthread_mutex_init(&lock->mut,
					    pthread_mutexattr_default);

returned a non-zero (failure) status.  "Invalid argument" is what the
platform perror() produced.  A coredump after an error here isn't
surprising.

This is likely the first call made to any pthreads function, and is so
vanilla that I'd guess pthreads itself doesn't work on your platform (does
it from C?), or it's some non-std pthreads variant that thread_pthread.h
doesn't know about.

not-that-insight-implies-a-cure-ly y'rs  - tim