_tkinter problem

Victor S. Miller victor at idaccr.org
Fri Jul 9 16:12:31 EDT 1999

I had successfully built Python 1.5.2 with _tkinter using the system
installed versions of tk and tcl (4.1 and 7.5 respectively).  However,
I decided to download the new versions of tcl and tk (8.1 for both),
and build them.  They both built without problems, and ran through the
test sucessfully.  I then rebuilt Python with them (I'm running on
Solaris 2.6), which appeared to build successfully, however, when I
try Tkinter._test(), I get:

Python 1.5.2 (#5, Jul  9 1999, 15:36:18)  [GCC 2.7.2.2] on sunos5
>>> import _tkinter
>>> import Tkinter
>>> Tkinter._test()
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/coop/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1947, in _test
    root = Tk()
  File "/usr/local/coop/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 886, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Now there's a perfectly good init.tcl in the directory
/usr/local/coop/lib/tcl8.1, which is where make install placed it.
Who is actually complaining about this, and how can I fix it?
--
Victor S. Miller     | " ... Meanwhile, those of us who can compute can hardly
victor at idaccr.org    | be expected to keep writing papers saying 'I can do the