IDLE's PyShell

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr
Tue Jul 20 14:58:15 EDT 1999

Just noticed that IDLE's interactive shell eats an unusually big
amount of memory. Just pressing the RETURN key a couple of times,
or even better ;-) -- closing and reopening the PyShell window
does not seem to reuse the prevously allocated memory...

I'm very far from this code, so don't blame me for not proposing a
patch, but here are two things I experimented with that seem to help
partially:

1. Clear the linecache when closing the PyShell window
2. Finalize properly the undo machinery in EditorWindow
   (yes -- the XXX sign is there to remind that the _close
    method needs more work regarding undo)
   For instance, I tried to finalize undo before self.io.close
   which seemed to work.

This helps a bit, but still a repeted open/close of PyShell eats
(less) memory. Sorry for not being able to help you more at this stage,
IDLE hackers! (ah, forgot to mention -- I refer to the latest version,
the one in the CVS tree).

       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov at inrialpes.fr