Is "shelve" thread-safe on Windows?

Andrew Dolan dolana at logica.com
Thu Jul 29 08:50:30 EDT 1999

Hi All,

I hope to use the shelve module to store data which may be accessed from
several Python CGI scripts at once.  I have studied the source-code and it
seems that the anydbm code (that shelve relies on) falls-back to using the
dumbdbm module on Windows which is not safe for concurrent access (according
to comments in its source code).

Can anyone suggest a simple way to gain the functionality of "shelve" on a
Windows platform, but which is safe for handling concurrent accesses (like
from CGI scripts)?

Cheers,

Ian.

--
Any views expressed in this email are my own and not those of Logica UK.