GUI's etc: PyGtk on Windows

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Jul 2 18:41:41 EDT 1999

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:14:42 -0500, Travis Oliphant <olipt at mayo.edu>
wrote:

>Previously I mentioned that Gtk works on any system with an X server,
>which is true.
>
>I also want to point out that Gtk is a cross-platform solution
>because there is a port of the GDK (the underlying windowing calls that
>Gtk uses) for Win32.  You can find a link at http://www.gtk.org
>
>From what I've read it looks like Gtk was intentionally written on top of
>GDK so that a port of GDK would make Gtk available.  The person who wrote
>the GDK port to Win32 did it to get the GIMP to run on Windows.
>There are screenshots of the result available on the site.
>
>So if someone develops mainly for X and just wants to make sure that it is
>not impossible to run on Windows, you can use PyGTK.  In fact a great
>program using GTK can be a strong motivator to get the ports of GDK going.

Last time I tried to compile PyGTK on windows (about a week ago with
the June 21 snapshot), there were some symbols missing from the
libraries.

Soon, perhaps.

>Just some thoughts,
>
>Travis

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |