Meta-language for mxTextTools

Tony J. Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 05:17:28 EDT 1999

Christian Tismer wrote:
>I remember very well! BCPL is mentioned very rarely on this list!

It is/was a Neat Language - my project at university was written in BCPL,
and we still used it at Laser-Scan for various utility programs for several
years after I first joined the company (back in, ye gods, 1980-ish). On the
other hand, getting lectured by Martin Richards was *not* terribly
interesting.

Ah, the backwards steps that C took:

"OK - first off, let's reintroduce the dangling else problem. Oh, and whilst
we're at it, let's use block delimiters that are hard to distinguish from
parentheses on just about all available printers and terminals [of the time,
and often still!]."

Humph. Now, anyone for Algol68?

Tibs

(time for a plug for the Retrocomputing Museum? I have a link to a mirror
at:
    http://www.pdc.kth.se/~jas/retro/
They have a BCPL compiler, although I haven't tried it...)

--
Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)      http://www.tibsnjoan.demon.co.uk/
Feet first with 5 wheels...